When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they will not overflow you. Isaiah 43:2



Friday, June 4, 2010

The Name Game


So today, my mother offered my husband $100 to abandon his heretofore favorite name for the baby. Many of you already know the name to which my husband has clung for the past three months, and I dare not repeat it here in writing because it is that...well...unusual.

I told him if it meant that much to him, I would submit and just call her a nickname. I can tell you the nickname was "Addie." And trust me, you cannot even imagine the name unless you are familiar with prisons, riots, massacres...oh gosh, have I given it away?

My husband is a teacher, so he has affiliations with every name under the sun, thereby making the name picking process excruciatingly difficult. So, I have resigned myself to his picking the names of our children. He has always come up with something great, so this was not a difficult resignation on my part.

OK, so today, we finally both agreed to a DIFFERENT name (I think the $100 motivation he may have taken a bit too seriously.) I looked up the name to which we agreed and it is German, with the meaning "Noble kind woman." We are half German, and certainly we hope for our children to be both noble and kind, so this is promising!

Curious yet?

Well, I can't tell ya, because I just can't risk the possibility that someone will post something other than a supportive comment after all this rigmarole (I don't think I have ever seen that word in print...any ideas how to spell it? Is it really a word?)

We are actually registered at the hospital now (thanks Stephanie for the fabulous babysitting!) and ready to go. I actually packed a bag tonight...it's funny how I pack less the more children we have.

I figure if I'm paying a fortune to stay at the hospital, I am going to use all of their stuff--toothpaste, toothbrush, soap, diapers, wipes, pacifiers...you get my drift. Not much left to pack except a little makeup and some cute baby clothes!

Now that I'm all prepared, she will wait another month to come...(sigh.)




6 comments:

Lift Up Your Hearts said...

Congratulations!! It's a HUGE deal when you choose a name! :-D

jen said...

We have quite a ritual associated with naming our kids, too. After seven names, this last one was hard! Eve was never my favorite, but her middle name is Diana after my mom, so I guess I got what I wanted. I NEVER share a name I like with anyone before baby's born. Once they're actually named that, negative comments are a lot rarer!
Can't wait to hear the name.

{cindy} said...

Hi there,
Came over from Jen's blog!
Nice to meet you!!
Your family is adorable and glad you finally picked a name! I was a teacher too, so I can TOTALLY relate to name associations...they can ruin even the most perfect ones!!:)
I plan to follow along so I can come back often!!
Enjoy the day!

Thanks for the foundation tip...I was going shopping for a new one today...no kidding!!!:)

Dani said...

So you know I'm googling german names now...lol

The one I found that could fit is pretty...but I won't type it just in case I actually guess correctly. :)

brooke said...

Congrats on choosing a name--I can't wait to hear it. Picking a name is the hardest part about having a baby. My husband hated everything I suggested but never offered up anything himself. At least your husband has some ideas!!

A month left--woo hoo!

LindseyRockers said...

um... can i just say that i feel so privileged that I know the name and i think it is BEAUTIFUL!!!! And I am sure the sweet little precious addition will have a beautiful face to match... your whole family is gorgeous!

thanks so much for stopping by my blog :) I am glad you liked it and do hope you will come back to visit or to follow along so you dont miss a post... i'm your newest follower for sure!

www.housemadehome.net