When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they will not overflow you. Isaiah 43:2



Tuesday, January 26, 2010

End of the Month Pantry Raid Meal

Toward the end of the month, I always run low on ingredients to make my typical gourmet (yeah right!) menu items. I am missing tomatoes, so I can't make this, hamburger, so I can't make that...so I end up raiding the pantry and throwing things together because...well, we gotta eat! Not that we are lacking...

...Our pantry could feed a family of ten for months, but it doesn't always look like the tastiest mixture of things when you open the door. You gotta get a little creative and adventurous.

Oh and did I mention our chickens are really mad about the rain and therefore not laying but maybe two eggs a day between all nine of them?!!! I could just spit at them when I'm out there raking up their poopy! (Not really, I adore you girls!) So, that eliminates all our yummy egg dishes 'cuz I sure ain't payin' for eggs when we're feeding their little chicken bums every day!

(When did I get this frugal?)

Anyhoo, tonight, I mixed together in a large casserole dish:

A bunch of crushed up tortilla chips
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 container sour cream (I could go look how big it is, but it's like this, I'm sitting at the computer, and I don't want to get my pregnant bum up. ;))
1-2 cans diced green chiles
4 chicken breasts, cut up and cooked in olive oil with a little salt

I don't know what to call it, but it's yummy. I am quite sure my ankles will swell to the size of basketballs tonight because of the sodium content.

We had cut up apples, fresh green beans and some carrot sticks to round out the meal (these thanks to my dad who gets us delicious Costco produce without even being asked! I love you PAPA!!! Good thing mom doesn't read this blog, huh?) :)

You never know what you'll get this time of month in the Haner house, but tonight we got lucky!

1 comment:

Lynette said...

What a yummy meal! Good job!