When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they will not overflow you. Isaiah 43:2



Saturday, January 2, 2010

Easy Clam Chowder Recipe

For Christmas, my sweet hubby got me a cookbook from the BHS Home-Ec department titled, "No More Than Five Ingredients." I was skeptical when I saw the title, but have been super impressed with the recipes thus far and menu planning is so much easier now because my shopping list is shorter and my cooking time is dramatically decreased with these recipes. I will post my menu plan and shopping list later. (I only spent $150 at Winco for my menu plan and extra food items this month!!!!)

Anyway, I tried an Easy Clam Chowder recipe today from the cookbook, changing a few things here and there, and came up with this one. It was YUMMY! Even picky Wyatt ate a whole bowl! It's not as hearty as some chowder recipes I've tried, but it is fast, cheap, makes A LOT, and is yummy...perfect for a busy mama!

Tara's Easy Clam Chowder

6 slices bacon

1/2 large sweet onion

2 cans cream of potato soup

3 soup cans milk

*1 1/2 cans minced clams, undrained

(*2 cans would be a little too much fishiness for us I think)

*butter optional

Cook up the bacon in the microwave or large skillet (or soup pot if you don't have a large skillet) until crispy. Drain fat (reserve some if sauteing onion in bacon fat). Mince bacon when cooled. Mince the 1/2 onion and saute it in butter or 2 Tbsp. bacon fat until transparent (I use butter because I love butter). In the same large skillet (or soup pot), add potato soup, milk, clams, and clam broth to sauteed onions and bacon. Heat on low-medium while stirring, but DO NOT BOIL. If you are worried about it boiling, just stir it up in the pan (or pot) and heat individual bowls in the microwave. Season with salt, pepper, and more butter to taste (we don't have to add anything.)

Storing soup: I made this soup in a large skillet and transferred it to a bean pot (a big ceramic pot with a lid) to keep in the fridge for up to a week.

Reheating soup: Milk-based soups do not reheat well on the stove I've found, but do well reheating in the microwave.

This recipe will serve my family (three small children and two adults) dinner twice with a small bowl each for lunch leftovers. I made a loaf of fresh bread to go with it, and intended to add some veggies to the meal, but forgot. Some nice steamed broccoli and caluiflower would be nice with it though.

I'd say it makes apx. 8-10 full servings.


1 comment:

brooke said...

I've been looking for a good clam chowder recipe and I won't even try anything with a ton of ingredients or ingredients I haven't heard of.

I'll give it a go! Thanks.