When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they will not overflow you. Isaiah 43:2



Tuesday, December 9, 2008

How to not sound so ANNOYED with your kids...


Well, I haven't actually figured that out yet, but I'm going to try...


So, I have kind of been listening to myself lately as though I were a third party hovering above the chaos of my home and I found myself to sound dreadful! I sound constantly annoyed and impatient when I talk to my toddlers. "Did you seriously just write on the floor with a purple Sharpie?" "WHAT are you thinking cleaning the mirror with bar soap?!" "WHY do you feel the need to push and scream at your brother all the time?" "WHY oh WHY did you spill the poopy fish water all over the counter? (during this last comment, I was thanking God every minute the little fish didn't spill out with it!")...


Hence (isn't that a fabulous word?) I am going to try for the next 24 hours (and perhaps longer if it goes well) not to raise my voice or be "annoyed sounding" (or sarcastic--which is completely lost on toddlers and though witty and amusing to my husband and me, terribly unappreciated by the younger set).


I'll let you know how it goes. My poor kids need my voice to be music to their ears not a harsh tearing down of their little self esteems...Pray for me.

5 comments:

Raquel said...

praying! i seriosuly am always yelling isnt sad my kids probably think it is my normal voice =(

R. Hansen said...

I am going to join you in that. (You get a little help at least with the fog delay this morning!!!) :-)

Dani said...

What a confirmation. I've been feeling the same way. Why is it I think I need to get onto my kid when he tries to be helpful but really wasn't. Thanks for the challenge. I think I'll do it with you.

chic Dresses said...

The article is very good, I like it very much.
I will keep your new article.

chic Dresses said...

The article is very good, I like it very much.
I will keep your new article.